We have partnered to make this summer a remarkable experience for your child.
The Reading Writing Connection is now offering summer Reading Camps. Don’t let another school year begin without strengthening the skills your child needs to become a confident and capable reader. After a morning of learning your child can attend a YMCA day camp. This extended care gives you the option for a full day of activities to engage your child in learning and adventures that promote a healthy spirit, mind and body.
With years of proven success and verified techniques we want to reach all struggling readers and those who want to retain the gains made in the previous school year. Return to school in the fall with stronger skills & confidence.
What We Offer:
- A robust phonic based curriculum
- Reading level appropriate instruction (not just based on student’s age)
- A judgment free environment
- Trained Orton-Gillingham instructors
- Small class size – no more than ten students
- Affordable instruction (especially when compared to similar options)
- Extended care options at the YMCA with learning supported fun activities
- Referral for a full evaluation if your child is identified with possible dyslexic traits
Extended Care at the YMCA:
- Arts & Crafts
- Off site field trips
- Activities to support the morning learning
- Only an additional $50 for care untill 5p.m.!
All camps provide proven, rigorous instruction that ALL readers must master to become competent and confident readers. Give your child the gift of reading this summer.
School Readiness Reading (5-9 participants) July 22nd – July 26th Cost: $98
This camp is designed for the student who is just beginning to recognize the alphabet and understand that letters make words. We work on the individual alphabet letters and what corresponding sound each letter makes.
- Learn basic knowledge of letter‐sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent sound for each consonant and vowel.
- Learn correct letter formation.
Ready Set Read (5 – 10 participants) July 15th – 19th Cost: $98
- Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single‐ syllable words.
- Read single‐syllable words by blending sounds including consonant blends.
- Learn the definition of a syllable.
- Break down single syllable words into their individual speech sounds.
READING AND SPELLING CAMP July 22nd – July 26th Cost: $98
- Learn the commonly-used English spelling patterns (syllable patterns).
- Students learn a very methodical approach to breaking up words so that they can be read in chunks.
- Students practice using prefixes and suffixes.
GRAMMAR CAMPS (Grades 7 – 11th) Cost:$98
Good grammar is still needed in today’s world despite computer technology with spell check and grammar check. Communication is the key to success. If you can’t communicate then you won’t be able to get very far along the career path you choose. If you can communicate well, then the sky is your limit! How you present yourself through the spoken or written word tells the audience a lot about you so put your best foot forward. As students enter high school and college, having a good use of the English language with proper grammar allow them to stand out among their peers. Writing essays and compositions requires a good command of proper English.
Campers will learn:
- What is a pronoun, adjective, prepositional phrase?
- When to use a semi-colon versus colon.
- This camp is designed for 10 – 18 year olds who need instruction about proper sentence structure, punctuation, and basic elements of grammar: the different types of words and how they function, as well as the different ways in which you can put words together, and how to communicate.
Space is limited so register early and receive the discounted tuition fee of $98. Registration after June 28th tuition increases to $110.00The registration form will not load properly at this time. The payment buttons do work but we will need additional information for your student. Please contact us through the contact form on the menu bar or call 517-787-8620 regarding the registration of your student. We will be attempting to add the registration form here asap. Thank you.